What is it?
The Consultation & Support program provides informal, confidential consultation with therapists from CMHS. The service is free of charge and offered on a first come first serve basis. Consultation & Support drop-in is available when school is in session at the following times and locations:
- Monday – Friday, 1:00 – 2:00pm in Arjona (check in at the CMHS front desk, Rm 437)
- Tuesdays, 10:30am – 12:30pm in the Student Union, Rm 410
*Please note that the service will not be available at Arjona on Wednesday, September 6th, or at the Student Union on Tuesday, October 24th.
Consultation clinicians will provide support, coaching, and connect students to other campus resources as needed. Although therapists provide this service, it is not a substitute for formal counseling. The Consultation & Support drop-in hour is also not suited to treat mental health emergencies; students who are experiencing a mental health crisis are encouraged to utilize CMHS On-Call services by calling 860-486-4705.
Who is it for?
Students who may benefit from attending a Consultation & Support session include:
- Students who are looking for advice on a non-clinical issue.
- Students who are unsure about therapy and are curious about what it is like to talk to a therapist.
- Students who may have concerns about the mental health of a friend and seek advice on how to support their friend.
- Students who require assistance connecting to campus resources but are unsure where to begin.
How is this program beneficial?
The goals of this program are manifold. The Consultation & Support program gives space for students to seek immediate support for non-emergent issues. By doing so, the program provides support to students in need before they reach the level of crisis. This benefits students’ mental health, as well as our long-term allocation of resources within CMHS. Furthermore, Consultation & Support meets the social justice mission of CMHS, by reducing barriers to service for student populations who are less likely to seek formal therapeutic treatment.
*The Consultation & Support Drop-In hour is inspired by Cornell University’s Let’s Talk program.