Continuity of Care

If you travel back-and-forth between your hometown and UConn during academic breaks, it is important for you to have care providers in both locations. Learn about how you can transfer care from one location to another.

Students being treated with psychiatric medication often leave campus for extended breaks during the school year.
It is important that you have a care provider on campus and at home.

Release of Confidential Medical Information

You must give your written legal permission to your providers to collaborate on your behalf and to ensure that you receive the best and most efficient care wherever you are located. As medical records include private healthcare information, your treatment providers can only share information with your written permission. Ask your current care provider for a Release of Information document which gets the process of transferring your medical records started and gives your treatment providers the legal right to communicate with each other.

If you are already taking psychiatric medications and are moving to Storrs campus from outside of the area, be sure to have your medical records transferred to CMHS before your first appointment to make for a smooth transition of your care.

If you are transferring your care to a provider outside of the UConn CMHS system, ask your CMHS provider for an Authorization and Fax Transmittal to Release Personal Health Information form or click here to download and print a copy of this important document.

To expedite the transfer of your medical records and treatment, fax the Authorization to Release document to our offices at (860) 486-9159 once you have completed and signed them. You can also drop the document by our office in person or mail it to:

Counseling and Mental Health Services (CMHS)
The University of Connecticut
337 Mansfield Road, Unit 1255
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-1255