Insurance & Billing FAQ

Counseling and Mental Health Insurance and Billing Information and Frequently asked Questions


Information about CMHS Insurance and Billing:

  • Before we can schedule your initial appointment, we will require your insurance information.
  • Present Insurance ID card at time of service.
  • Claims are automatically filed for participating plan primary coverage. CMHS will also submit claims for insurance(s) you have in addition to your primary coverage for services rendered at the Counseling Center.
  • The student is responsible for co-payment or other fees upon visit which can be paid in full at the time of the visit by cash, credit, or Husky Bucks or paid later via the student fee bill.

Q: What if I am experiencing a Mental Health Emergency?

A: CMHS provides emergency brief assessment/triage as part of our CORE service (will not be billed to insurance). If you are in crisis or have an emergency please contact us during our usual hours of M-F from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. We can arrange for you to meet with our daily on-call therapist to discuss the nature of your concerns, provide helpful interventions, and discuss options and recommendations that meet your clinical care requirements. If you are in need of emergency service at other times, please see our website @ for more information as to how to Access Emergency Services.  If you are in a serious and life threatening emergency, please bypass this information and call 911.

Q: What does “fee-for-service” mean?

A: Method of charging whereby a physician or other provider bills for each encounter or service rendered.

Q: What health insurance plans does CMHS participate with?

A: Health Insurance Plans CMHS accepts:

We are currently a participating provider to most plans of Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, CT Medicaid, Oxford, United Healthcare, and United Behavioral Health.  Also, the University of Connecticut’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) administered by Consolidated Health Plans, Inc.

  • Your co-payment, deductible and/or co-insurance responsibilities would apply.

Aetna    BCBS CignaUnited Healthcare  UBH  Oxford

Connecticut Medicaid:  Husky A, B, C and D


Q: What if I don’t have a plan you participate in or accept?

A: Your co-payment, deductible and/or co-insurance may be at a greater financial cost to you under the out-of-network benefits or you may not have any out-of-network coverage. We highly recommend you contact your plan or CMHS Insurance Specialist to know your covered benefit before your first appointment.

  • You may choose to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan which provides unlimited Behavioral Health coverage with the co-pay/deductible waived for services on campus.
  • Utilize your Out-of-Network benefits.
  • Review referral options.
  • Some plans provide a “student away from home” benefit; if your insurance has this provision; authorization will be required for our services and your out-of-pocket cost may be as low as your participating benefits.

Q: Why would I be assigned a trainee and not a licensed provider?

A: CMHS is committed to preparing the next generation of practitioners in our field. Our comprehensive training program provides clinical internship and practicum for advanced-level graduate students in clinical psychology and social work and trainees work under the supervision of a licensed provider.
Clinical services provided by trainees are not billed to insurance; a $15 flat fee per session applies.  For students where cost may pose a barrier to care, assignment to a trainee may be appropriate.

 Q: What is an EOB (Explanation of Benefit)? Where does it go?

A: The EOB is a record of the fee the doctor requests, the copay you pay, the amount the insurance company agrees to pay to the provider, and any remaining amount to be written off or billed to you, the patient. An EOB looks a lot like a bill, because it is a detailed account of the billing process.  This document may indicate type of service provided, but does not include detailed clinical information.

The person responsible for paying the bill (often the policy holder), will receive an EOB.

Q: What are CORE services?

A: Non-billable service CMHS provides at no charge:

  • Mental Health Screenings
  • Triage and Brief Assessment (Routine and Emergency)
  • Consultation & Support Drop-In Hour
  • Workshops and Seminars
  • Consultation (Faculty, Staff, Students, Family, Administrators)
  • Advocacy and Referral
  • Topical Outreach Groups (vary by semester but have included, STRONGER, Grief Group, University Recovery Community, International Chat)

Q: Federal Pell Grant… why does CMHS need to know I qualify?

A: A Federal Pell Grant is a form of financial aid given by the federal government and is based on financial need and does not need to be repaid.
Counseling and Mental Health Services will bill your insurance and waive your financial balance for services rendered when you have already qualified for this type of grant. You will be responsible for informing our front office staff at the time of scheduling your first appointment. Verification is listed under the “credits” of the term fee bill section on your admin account found at: >UC student financials >Online Term Fee Bill.

Q: Will I be charged if I don’t show for my scheduled appointment?

A: Failure to cancel a scheduled appointment 24 hours prior to appointment time will result in an automatic charge to your student fee bill of $15.00.

Please contact CMHS minimally 24 hours prior to your appointment if you need to cancel so that we may offer that time to another student in need.

Q: How does the charge appear on my fee bill

A: Health Services Misc Fee

Q: Where do I call with Mental Health Insurance questions?

A: Counseling and Mental Health Services, 860-486-4705

Q: Where are you located?

A: Arjona building near Mirror Lake
Counseling and Mental Health Services
337 Mansfield Road, Unit 1255
4th floor
Storrs, CT, 06269-1255
Phone: 860-486-4705
Fax: 860-486-9159



The above information is unique to CMHS only.

For Information about the University-sponsored Insurance Plan or Student Health Service Insurance & Billing; please go to: